Welcome to Your First Step to Change – a collection of self-change toolkits available to the public, free of charge. Many people change their excessive behavior patterns without entering treatment. These toolkits are for individuals who would like help making a change or want information about their own risky behavior. The toolkits help people:
- Gain information about addiction-related problems.
- People evaluate their own addiction-related behavior.
- Develop change strategies, should they decide that change is the best course.
New! Your First Step to Change: 2nd Edition
The Division recently published the second print edition of Your First Step to Change. Download a PDF version of Your First Step to Change: 2nd Edition or order free print copies from the Massachusetts Department of Public Health Bureau of Substance Addiction Services.
Your First Step to Change: 1st Edition
The first edition of Your First Step to Change is freely available for printable download in English, as well as several other languages:
- Download English print version
- Bajar versión en español (Download Spanish print version)
- 下載繁體中文版本 (Download Chinese print version)
- Download Cambodian (Khmer) print version
- Download Vietnamese print version
e-Your First Step to Change
The Division on Addiction has created electronic versions of our self-change toolkits. It takes roughly 20 minutes to complete one of these toolkits. Participation is anonymous. We do not collect or store any identifying information from participating visitors. The toolkits temporarily keep track of your answers and allow you to print your results at any point. However, if you close or refresh your browser during a session, your answers will be erased. We hope that this first step will help you find the change that you are looking for.
The following electronic editions of Your First Step to Change are based on the 1st Edition: